Attaching the Switch to a Four-Post Rack
A four-post rack-mounting kit is included in the box with your switch. The kit contains an instruction sheet, along with the following components:
- Two mounting brackets, known as inner member in the instruction sheet. These pieces attach directly to both sides of the switch housing.
- Two slider assemblies, one for each side of the switch. Each slider assembly consists of an outer piece that is secured to the rack and a sliding rail to which you will attach the corresponding mounting bracket. These pieces are known on the instruction sheet as the outer member and intermediate member.
- Mounting ears - Black rack ears with a thumb screw in the middle (2 count)
- Black mounting ear screws (4 count)
To attach your switch to a four-post rack, follow these steps:
- On the sides of switch, locate and remove the 2 black screws next to the data ports of the switch. Repeat as needed for the other side.
Using the provided mounting ear
screws, attach each of the mounting ears using the holes exposed in the previous
step. The mounting ears should be flush with the faceplate of the switch.
See Attaching a Mounting Bracket to One Side of the Switch Housingfor the correct orientation.
- Extend the slider assemblies to the full extent. Locate the small white release tab on the mounting bracket, and push it toward the blue release tab, allowing the mounting bracket to slide the rest of the way off the slider assemblies. Repeat for the other slider assembly.
Attach a mounting bracket to one side of the switch housing.
Snap the mounting bracket onto the housing. Then anchor it in place using the screws provided. See Attaching a Mounting Bracket to One Side of the Switch Housing.
- Repeat step 4 to attach the other mounting bracket to the other side of the housing.
Attach a slider assembly to the front and rear rack posts on one side.
- Push the pegs on the front of the slider assembly through the holes in the front rack post, until they snap into place.
- Extend the slider assembly until its rear clamp fits around the rear rack post.
Ensure that the slider assembly is level.
If necessary, move it up or down at the rear of the rack.
- Snap the rear clamp into place.
- Repeat step 6 to attach the other slider assembly to the front and rear rack posts on the other side.
On both sides, locate the
sliding rails (intermediate members) in the slider assemblies, and pull them out
to their full extent. Ensure that the plastic slider on the intermediate member
is in the locked position:
The sliding rails remain attached to the slider assembly.
- Screw the mounting ear thumbscrews into the rack rails to hand tightness.
- Lift the switch into position and insert the mounting brackets into the slider assemblies on both sides.
- Push gently until both mounting brackets engage with the slider assemblies.
Release the tabs on both slider
assemblies, and slide the switch back until it is firmly in place. Screw the
mounting ear thumbscrews into the rack rails to hand tightness.
See Pushing the Mounting Brackets into the Rail Assemblies.
The completed assembly is shown in Completed Installation: Switch in 4-Post Rack.
- Verify that the switch is level and is firmly attached to the rack.
If your switch comes with installed AC power supplies, skip to Turn on the Switch.
If your switch does not have an installed power supply, install one or two power supplies using the instructions in Installing Internal Power Supplies.