What You Will Need for the Installation
Ensure that you have followed the guidance in "Preparing to Install," and ensure that you have the appropriate people and tools on hand.
Installing Extreme Networks switches is easiest when there are two people to maneuver the switch and attach mounting hardware.
Provide enough space in front of and behind the switch so that you can service it easily. Allow a minimum of 122 cm (48 in) in front of the rack and 76 cm (30 in) behind the rack.
If your switch has internal power supplies, make sure they have the same airflow direction as the fans in the switch.
Check Quick Reference Guide for your switch model to see what hardware is provided in the switch packaging. Most Extreme Networks switches come with the following hardware:
- Two rack mounting brackets (ears) adaptable for either a front-mount or mid-mount installation.
- Two long mounting brackets (rails) or slider kits for mounting in a four-post installation.
- Screws for attaching mounting hardware to the switch housing.
You need the following additional tools and equipment. These are not provided with your switch.
- Rack mounting screws: eight for a four-post installation; four for other installations. The size of the screws will vary based on the rack system you are using.
- Screwdriver for securing the rack mounting screws.
- #2 Phillips screwdriver to attach bracket screws that are provided with the switch. Use a magnetic screwdriver.
- AC power cord. For switches with removable AC power supplies, a separate power cord is needed for each installed power supply. The cord must meet the requirements listed in Power Cord Requirements for AC-Powered Switches and AC Power Supplies.
- ESD-preventive wrist strap for installing optional ports at the back of the switch.