Installing a Versatile Interface Module or Clock Module in an X460-G2 Series Switch
Before you begin
This section describes how to install a versatile interface module (VIM) or a clock module in the rear slot of an X460-G2 switch.
NoteClock module ports are output ports. They are not to be used as input ports.
You need the following tools and materials to install a VIM or clock module:
- ESD-preventive wrist strap
- #1 Phillips screwdriver (for clock module) or flat-bladed screwdriver (for all other VIM modules)
CautionExtreme Networks VIMs and clock modules are not hot-swappable. Disconnect power to the switch before removing an installed VIM or clock module or installing a new VIM or clock module.
About this task
The installation procedure is the same for all X460-G2 VIMs and clock modules, with the exception that the VIMs use slotted retaining screws and the clock module uses Phillips retaining screws.
To install a versatile interface module or clock module, follow these steps:
- Attach an ESD-preventive wrist strap to your wrist and connect the metal end to an appropriate ground point on the rack.
- Disconnect the switch power.
Remove the cover plate from the VIM or clock
- Remove the retaining screws at the top corners of the slot cover plate, and set the screws aside in a safe place.
- Save the retaining screws to secure the new module in the switch.
Pull the cover plate away from the module
- Remove the new VIM or clock module from its anti-static packaging.
Install the VIM or clock module in the
- Carefully slide the module into the switch.
Insert and tighten the retaining screws
you removed in step 3. The clock module uses Phillips
screws and the VIM modules use slotted screws.
1 = VIM module retaining screw locations 1 = clock module retaining screw locations