Replacing a Summit 550 W AC Power Supply
Before you begin
Summit 550 W power supplies are available for switches with either front-to-back or back-to-front airflow.
You need the following tools and materials to replace a 550 W AC power supply:
Thermal protective gloves
AC power cord, if you will not be re-using the cord from the removed power supply
An AC power cord is not included with the Summit AC power supply. You must obtain a power supply cord that meets the requirements listed in Power Cord Requirements for AC-Powered Switches and AC Power Supplies.
In a switch with a redundant power configuration, you can replace one Summit AC power supply without powering down the switch.
To replace a 550 W AC power supply:
- Disconnect the AC power cord from the wall outlet and from the power supply.
- Note the orientation of the installed power supply.
- Push the latching tab toward the power supply handle and pull outward on the handle to disengage the power supply internal connectors.
Carefully slide the power supply the rest of the
way out of the switch.
Power supplies can become very hot during operation. Wear thermal protective gloves when you remove a power supply from an operating switch.
If you are not installing a replacement power supply, install a cover over the unoccupied power supply bay. Unoccupied bays must always be covered to maintain proper system ventilation and EMI levels.
- Verify that the replacement power supply is oriented the same way as the unit you removed.
- Carefully slide the power supply all the way into the power supply bay.
Push the power supply in until the latch snaps
CautionDo not slam the power supply into the switch.
Connect the power cord to the power supply and to
a grounded AC power outlet.
Always be sure that the source outlet is properly grounded before plugging the AC power cord into the AC power supply.
- If the power supply is equipped with a power cord retainer, use the retainer to secure the power cord to the power supply.