Installing Power Supply Units and Connecting Power
Be sure to satisfy the requirements listed in this section when you install Extreme Networks power supplies or connect power.
- Do not use excessive force when you insert a power supply into the bay.
- Do not attempt to open the power supply enclosure for any reason; the power supply does not contain user-serviceable parts. In the event of failure, return the defective power supply to Extreme Networks for repair or replacement.
- Do not put your hand into an open power supply bay when a power supply is not present.
- Before you work on equipment that is connected to power lines, remove all jewelry, including watches. Metal objects heat up when they are connected to power and ground and can cause serious burns or weld the metal object to the terminals.
- An electrical arc can occur when you connect or disconnect the power with power applied. This could cause an explosion in hazardous area installations. Be sure that power is removed from the device.
- When you install or replace equipment, always make the ground connection first and disconnect the ground connection last.
- For switches with field-replaceable power supplies, do not connect the power supply to an electrical source when the power supply is not installed in the switch; doing so would expose a hazardous energy and poses a potential shock and fire hazard.
- Plug power supplies only into properly grounded electrical outlets to help prevent electrical shock and to comply with international safety standards.
- Use only power cords that are certified for use within the country of use. Do not attempt to modify AC power cords.
- Make sure that the voltage and frequency of your power outlet match the system electrical ratings for the equipment. The building and/or power source must provide overload protection.
- Use a surge suppressor, line conditioner, or uninterruptible power supply to protect the system from momentary increases or decreases in electrical power.
- When multiple power supplies are used with a system, connect each power supply to a different, independent overcurrent protection device, such as a circuit breaker. If a single power source fails, it will affect only that power supply to which it is connected. See the data sheet of the power supply for proper sizing of the circuit breaker.
- Extreme Networks AC power supplies do not have switches for turning the unit on and off. Remove all wall plugs from the electrical outlets to disconnect the power. Make sure that these connections are easily accessible.
- Making the connection to your facility DC source voltage must be performed by a qualified, licensed electrician.
- Extreme Networks DC power supplies do not have switches for turning the unit on and off. Make sure that the DC circuit is de-energized before connecting or disconnecting the DC power cord at the DC input power socket.
- Do not connect a DC power supply to the DC source power when the power supply is not installed in the chassis; doing so would expose a hazardous energy and poses a potential shock and fire hazard.
- Connect the system or power supply only to a DC power source that complies with the safety extra-low voltage (SELV) requirements in IEC 60950-based safety standards.
- DC-powered equipment must be installed in a restricted-access area to ensure that only trained and qualified service personnel have access to the equipment. A restricted-access area can be entered only through the use of a special tool, lock and key, or other means of security.
NoteBecause building codes vary worldwide, Extreme Networks strongly recommends that you consult an electrical contractor to ensure proper equipment grounding and power distribution for your specific installation and country.
Extreme Networks power supplies do not have switches for turning the unit on and off. Disconnect all power cords to remove power from the device. Make sure that these connections are easily accessible.
Extreme Networks alimentations n'ont pas de contact pour mettre l'appareil sous et hors tension. Débranchez tous les cordons d'alimentation pour couper l'alimentation de l'appareil. Assurez-vous que ces connexions sont facilement accessibles.