Logging in for the First Time
Before you begin
After your switch has completed all power-on self-tests, it is operational. Before logging in, verify that the switch LEDs are on (solid green or blinking green) and that it is connected to a management console as described in Connecting a Switch to the Management Console.
About this task
To perform the initial login and complete initial configuration tasks, follow these steps.
- Using a terminal emulator such as PuTTY or
TeraTerm, connect to the switch using the serial port connection. Be sure that your serial connection is set properly:
- Baud rate: Baud rate: 115200 (for X465, X590, X690, or X870) or 9600 (for other models) (see note)
- Data bits: 8
- Stop bit: 1
NoteSet the baud rate to 115200 when using the RJ45 Ethernet management port on an X465, X590, X690 or X870 series switch.
- At the management console, press [Enter] one or more times until you see the login prompt.
- At the login prompt, log in using the default user
For example:login: admin
NoteFor the initial password, simply press [Enter].
When you have successfully logged on to the system, the command line prompt displays the system name (for example, SummitX670-G2#) in its prompt. You are logged in with administrator privileges, which gives you access to all switch functions.
- Respond to the screen prompts to configure the
level of security you need.
NoteFor more information about logging in to the switch and configuring switch management access, see the ExtremeXOS 30.6 User Guide .
- Enter show version.The switch serial number is displayed, as highlighted in the following example. Make a note of this number for future reference.
Transit.3 # show version Switch : 800444-00-05 0723G-01234 Rev 5.0 BootROM: