Connecting Network Interface Cables
About this task
Use the appropriate type of cable to connect the ports of your switch to another switch or router.
|Cable Type||Maximum Distance|
Working carefully, one port at a time, do the following:
- Verify that you have identified the correct cable for the port.
- Use an alcohol wipe or other appropriate cleaning agent to clean the cable connectors; make sure they are free of dust, oil, and other contaminants.
- If you are using optical fiber cable, align the transmit (Tx) and receive (Rx) connectors with the correct corresponding connectors on the switch or the I/O module.
- Press the cable connectors into their mating connectors on the switch or I/O module until the cable connector is firmly seated.
- Repeat step 1 through step 4 for the remaining cables on this or other switches or I/O modules.
- Dress and secure the cable bundle to provide appropriate strain relief and protection against bends and kinks.