The Value of Bridge Port Extenders
Since the bridge port extenders (BPEs) are managed like slots in a chassis under a single management domain, multiple layers of a traditional network can be reduced from a configuration and management perspective, greatly simplifying the network operation.
As opposed to expanding the network using additional switches, BPEs provide the following benefits:
- No console. BPEs are configured and managed through the controlling bridge (CB) user interface, so there is no need to connect a terminal console connection to each BPE.
- No out-of-band management.
- Single point of license management.
- Single point for configuring/debugging/diagnostics.
- Single node when managed by Extreme Management Center or other management software products.